The Rods Are Out, The Traps Are Set And The Waiting Game Begins – Live Blogging From The Water’s Edge

8.00 p.m. Good evening and welcome to another angling session that I am going to blog about, as it develops.

There’s more in the introductory video, and as always, feel free to keep me company via the comments box below.

8.15 p.m. I was just about to post about the coots diving over the baits, when the middle rod went. It was a coot.

No harm done, it’s gone back safely. It has cleared the area though, so not a bad thing.

9.30 p.m. Following West Bromwich Albion’s dropped points again this evening, I’ve been thinking about the great Leeds United teams of the past, as the club looks to return to the top flight.

Doesn’t life pass so quickly? I can picture watching the likes of Billy Bremner, Jack Charlton, Norman Hunter and Paul Madeley on the pitch as if they were playing right now.

Yet, sadly, those and others, are no longer with us. You have to make the most of life, that’s a fact. Before you realise it, it’s gone.

10.00 p.m. Back to the fishing though. I’m set-up in some shallow water (2-3 feet). It’s also very clear.

At this time of the year, with the carp more active and the water temperatures higher, they will move into the shallows, especially under cover of darkness.

11.45 p.m. Off the mark with a nice looking mirror carp – and the right side of midnight as well.

It was an excellent fight, but I had a few tense moments at the end, when it kited round to some branches that weren’t trailing in the water.

Nothing to be concerned about though, as it slipped in the net and I lifted it on the mat.

12.45 a.m. The fish (16lb 9oz) was caught not far from the bank, where the water was even shallower. It’s back must have been hardly covered.

That’s the beauty of fishing with multiple rods, you can experiment or try something different. In this case my plan passed with flying colours.

Talking of plans, following the first visit here where my baits were ravaged and the hook-lengths tangled by diving coots, my reaction strategy has worked.

Out with the small pop-ups and loose boilies / pellets and in with a simple hair-rig with a bigger bottom boilie.

The successful bait has been a 16mm lobworm boilie cast out in a PVA bag with loose boilies and coordinated pellets.

1.30 a.m. I thought I had another fish on the same rod as the alarm went for a few seconds and the hanger dropped. I waited but nothing developed so I reeled in and re-cast.

I do my angling photography / filming with my iPhone. As you can see from the previous image, night shots aren’t the best.

It’s ok for my blog, but if you’re looking for better quality, another alternative would be the way to go.

5.30 a.m. It’s a very still morning, nothing been showing during the night or first-light.

There’s a stock dove calling in the trees behind me. I can’t see it but I can hear it.

7.00 a.m. Another very enjoyable night out. You can follow all future blog updates by subscribing below.


    1. It was indeed.
      Yes, massive game tonight at home to Barnsley. Top v bottom, what could possibly go wrong!
      Albion have slipped, haven’t they? Mind, Brentford are flying!
      If you hadn’t got that point the other day, they would have had automatic promotion in their own hands.